a2ps

News item: Sun Solaris 2.8 OE to include a2ps

From: Nelson H. F. Beebe
Subject: News item: Sun Solaris 2.8 OE to include a2ps
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 18:05:57 -0700 (MST)

a2ps should get expanded visibility: this announcement just came in
from our local Sun representative: notice the second to last line,
listing a2ps as an included product:

>> This release of the Solaris 8 OE updates customers with additional
>> capabilities over previous releases. Solaris 8 2/02 has increased Linux
>> Compatibility making it easier to deploy Linux applications. The
>> iPlanet Advantage software bundle includes the addition of a license
>> for iPlanet (TM) Integration Server EAI (Enterprise Application Integration)
>> Edition 3.0 providing the capability for access to legacy applications as
>> web services.  Solaris 8 2/02 has added globalization support and
>> accessibility packages for the visually impaired.
>>
>> Highlights include:
>>
>> (1) Increased Compatibility with Linux
>>
>> Sun reaffirms its commitment to the Open Source Community by offering
>> additional tools and by updating existing open source packages with each
>> Solaris OE update release, ensuring users have access to up-to-date
>> versions of their favorite Linux applications. This latest update of
>> Solaris offers nine new freeware packages that enhance various
>> functionality of the Solaris OE:
>>
>>      Database: MySQL
>>      Technical/SysAdmin applications: nmap, Ruby, rpm, Zebra, a2ps
>>      Desktop applications: gphoto, WindowMaker, KOffice

In particular, this suggests that a2ps developers need to be in
contact with Sun developers to ensure that the latest stable version
of a2ps is distributed.  I raise this point, because Novell a few
months ago open sourced a number of AT&T UNIX products, but after
downloading them, we found that in some cases, they were years out of
date from what is available elsewhere.

- Center for Scientific Computing       FAX: +1 801 585 1640, +1 801 581 4148 -
- University of Utah                    Internet e-mail: address@hidden  -
- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB        address@hidden  address@hidden -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       address@hidden                    -
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA    URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe  -