ac-archive-maintainers

suggested patches for C/C++ math library macros

From: Julian C. Cummings
Subject: suggested patches for C/C++ math library macros
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:29:55 -0700

Hello Guido,

I have been volunteering to do maintenance on the blitz C++ Array class library for the past few years.  As you know, several of the C++ support macros were contributed by the author of blitz, Todd Veldhuizen.  I have run across a few minor bugs and inconsistencies with the m4 macros that check for some specific math routines.  I am attaching a couple of patch files that correct these problems.

The ieee_math and system_v_math macros refer to fairly obscure math library standards.  As near as I can tell from flipping through math.h header files on various systems, "ieee" corresponds to items provided when XOPEN_SOURCE or the equivalent macro is defined.  The SGI math.h header refers to these items as the XPG4 standard.  Meanwhile, "system_v" appears to correspond to items provided in the C99 extensions to the C standard library.  Based upon the categorizations that appear in current math.h header files, I have supplemented and reorganized the lists of functions that are tested for in the ieee_math and system_v_math macros.  I have added tests for cbrt, jn, gamma and yn to ieee_math.  I have moved tests for ilogb, hypot, nextafter, remainder and scalb from system_v_math to ieee_math.  In addition, I added tests for trunc and finite to system_v_math, and I removed the test for fmod because it is in the standard C math library.

I also corrected a problem that was causing the ieee_math check to possibly fail under the IBM xlC compiler.  If you compile with the -qthreaded flag or use the reentrant version xlC_r of the compiler, the IBM math.h header provides reentrant versions of the gamma and lgamma functions.  So I have modified the test program in the ieee_math macro to account for this possibility and allow the ieee_math check to pass under xlC_r.

I hope that you can incorporate these modifications into a future version of the ac-archive.

Regards, Julian C.

Dr. Julian C. Cummings
Staff Scientist, CACR/Caltech
(626) 395-2543