access-activists

[Access-activists] Re: Orca

From: Christian Hofstader
Subject: [Access-activists] Re: Orca
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 08:54:17 -0400

Hi,

Having been thinking about our :favorite bugs" or, as Glen Gordon used to say, "features the users would like to see removed," I think we need a third category. [See the thread below if you don't know what I'm talking about.]

Right now, we have a category for the 100 most important bugs in the high value target applications: namely, Open Office, Firefox and Thunderbird. Many people evaluating screen readers look to these applications first and many never move further in their quest for a quality user experience. I suggested we make a list of the favorite 100 of these bugs as the highest priority items to attack.

The second group of 100 are issues involving accessibility issues in various programming tools. I've been using emacspeak lately so bugs in the various IDE, authoring tools, etc. don't slow me down as I've been using emacs since I was an infant. Lots of people in lots of shops, though, must use the same tools as their colleagues who do not self-identify as having a disability so access to these tools is essential. Finally, we are getting more and more blinks signing up to become volunteer hackers but are locked out by some bugs in various IDE. and other tools they need are currently sitting around waiting to be able to jump in in a significant manner. So, the top 100 accessibility bugs in this category should be pulled out as a separate list.

Peter suggested a number of high value targets, chat programs and a number of others, we all agree that we should have a list of such but I don't think that we need to do an America's Top 100 but let the total number of items considered really important fluctuate.

I'll write up a process for all of this to be available for criticism as soon as I get some free time and I think it can work hand in hand with the current orca Bugzilla database which intimidates some users. Also, a lot of these bugs will be general accessibility issues and related not directly to vision impairment and will require fixes in not AT programs.

HH,
cdh