ada-mode-users

AppImage of the ada-mode executables available

From: Manuel Gómez
Subject: AppImage of the ada-mode executables available
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 19:27:42 +0100

I've made a GitHub action that builds the ada-mode executables under Ubuntu Linux 22.04 and upload an AppImage to the Releases area of the GitHub repository. See https://github.com/mgrojo/emacs-ada-mode-binaries

That would be useful for people that tried to build ada-mode and were not able.

Unfortunately, it requires Ubuntu 22.04, and cannot be built under the oldest supported LTS version, as recommended by the AppImage project for maximum compatibility. The problem is the required version of the re2c package. Does it really need that version?

All the ada-mode executables are inside the AppImage, so using it as a usual executable AppImage doesn’t make much sense.

The AppImage acts as ada_mode_wisi_lalr_parse, but all the executables are inside and can be extracted and directly used, since they are mostly statically linked.

There’s probably a better way to bundle this, so that it is more plug-and-play, but I guess it’s already an improvement for people not building their own copy of the executables.

By the way, the install command builds some of the Ada files again, I don’t know why. Consequently, I’m not entirely sure if all the files are being compiled in the release profile.

Best regards.