adaldap-users

[Adaldap-users] slog exaggeration

From: Rob Holloway
Subject: [Adaldap-users] slog exaggeration
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 02:35:32 -0700

Im crossing Death Valley and I thought Id call on you. Adams stride made three ofone of these steps. The limit that he had put upon his endurance was to reach the shack. After breakfast Adam set out to find his burros.
It stirred Adams blood, so sluggish this morning.
Yet this rugged, bold, uneven surface of mountainwall shone in the sunlight. If the desert could develop invincible energy of strengthin a man, he would earn it.
Sheeluded Adam, for she was a quick and nimble burro.
But self-preservation was the first instinct and the first law ofhuman nature, or any nature.
Different here was it from the place miles below where Adamhad crossed. Virey had areason for finding a hell on earth.
She had a white face and large, deep eyes, strained and sad.
The woman suddenly seemed to be struck with Adams tone, or theappearance of him.
It was as if she had not particularly noticed him atfirst. These are few, but, taken by the years, theyseem many.
Death Valley was more than sixty miles long and from seven to twelvewide.
After he had unpacked near theshack, his first move was to light a candle and take it to the door. Adam persevered, but the labour ofholding him was greater than that of supporting him.
This was the margin of theplace that from afar had looked like a frozen stream.
Sheeluded Adam, for she was a quick and nimble burro.
How impossible to realise that, untilconfronted by physical proofs of the passing of time!
Virey had areason for finding a hell on earth. It was necessary to findnarrow places in these and leap across. Maam, is your husband just right in his mind?
Does he know that a white woman absolutely cannot live here in DeathValley?
Of whatavail the strong arm, the desert-taught fierceness to survive? I slept better than for long, she replied, and I think I knowwhy. By atom and by mass it was in motion, working down to a level. Perhaps if you watch him awhile you can tell. Thatmust be the secret of the power of the desert over men.
No, itwas a man crawling on hands and knees. Inside the little shack it was almost too dark to see plainly.
The usual spring and buoyancy of his physical being was lacking this day.
Sir, I thank you again, she replied, her voice thrilling richly. My husband watches me like a hawk, but not yet does he know myfears. Sir, your kind words warm a cold and forlorn heart, she said. Adam decided to pitch his permanent camp, or at leastsleeping place, here on the grass.
It was a valley where nature had been prodigalof her treasures and terrible in her hold upon them. Thatmust be the secret of the power of the desert over men.