adonthell-artwork

Re: [Adonthell-artwork] New graphics on the way...

From: James Nash
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] New graphics on the way...
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 19:16:31 +0100

On 11 Apr 2008, at 02:15, address@hidden wrote:
BTW., once you are happy with your work (or even before), feel free to commit your source images (the ones with layers) to the gfx CVS. (See http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/ Graphics:Conventions#The_Adonthell_data_CVS). That way they will be preserved for the future. (I remember you once made animated water tiles and a cliff face in the v0.4 resolution, but they appear to be lost).

Good idea.
I'm just waiting for savannah's cron job to accept my SSH key. In the mean time I've been browsing the web view of the CVS. I see that you have already set up a number of sub-directories for the different kinds of in-game graphics. However, where do should source graphics go?

Here's what I currently have:

A directory tree of black & white outline graphics. These are essentially scans with a bit of thresholding and the background pixels cut out. They don't necessarily correspond to a single set of map gfx - they are like the building blocks I use. Here are some examples:

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image

These were some of the ones I used to make the "treeccolis" I posted recently :-) However, scaled, coloured and combined differently these could just as well be another kind of tree or bush. Furthermore they may end up being used in map, item or even character gfx. I therefore think they should be in a directory tree for themselves. Perhaps something like /gfx/raw/outlines/ (I put them into a sub-directory "outlines" since there could be other kinds of raw gfx like coloured scans and such.)

The next step is then to take some of these raw outlines and make something with them. This is where the layered XCF files will come into play. In addition to those I may have some colour palette files to save the colours I used for each layer and other supplementary stuff (custom brushes or image hoses for Gimp / Photoshop).

These are now more closely related to final map graphic PNGs. If I cut out the trees in the image I sent and saved them as PNGs they could be used in the game. Therefore I guess they can live with the in-game gfx. Perhaps we can have a convention whereby they go into a "src" sub directory of the directory where the corresponding in-game PNGs live.

e.g:
map-gfx
/gfx/map/decoration/outside/trees/treeccoli/01.png
/gfx/map/decoration/outside/trees/treeccoli/02.png

source
/gfx/map/decoration/outside/trees/treeccoli/src/layered.xcf

Sound OK?

Regards,
                        - James

P.S.:
Ah! I see the wiki is working again - I can do my angle write up while I wait for my SSH key to go through the system...

--
Personal site:
http://cirrus.twiddles.com/