adonthell-artwork

[Adonthell-artwork] Graphic sizes and proportions

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-artwork] Graphic sizes and proportions
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:34:12 +0100

I've spent a good deal of this morning on assembling a Redwyne Inn
map. However, I am running into problems with objects that do not tile
nicely. I am not quite sure what to do, so here's something for the
artists to take a look at.

For v0.3, our base tile size had been 20x20 (for a resolution of
320x240), respectively 40x40 (scaled to 640x480). Now, the same 40x40
tile in v0.4 uses 64x96. Why is it streched on the y axis that way?
Did I scale it wrong?

With this odd size, a room that used to be 6x4 tiles in v0.3 would
have to be 6x2.66 now to remain it's proportions. That means, we
cannot keep buildings the same proportions. The question is, what is
the right thing to do? What sizes should our tiles be so that
everything will fit together nicely?

(Whats worse, the yard tiles are 128x128, although I believe they
already had an odd size in v0.3. 40x30 or something like that.)

Can we come up with sizes that would have the correct aspect ration
given our view and tile nicely in all 3 dimensions? Right now,
standard height is 128, but our sprites (NG) seem small compared to
that.

Any insight appreciated.

Kai