adonthell-artwork

[Adonthell-artwork] Graphics repository

From: James Nash
Subject: [Adonthell-artwork] Graphics repository
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 19:40:29 +0100

Hello again,

While my Redwyne Inn gfx aren't yet finished, I figured I should start sharing
what I've got. IIRC the CVS repo described here
http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Graphics:Conventions#The_Adonthell_data_CVS
 is for the old 0.3 stuff and the newer 0.4 graphics files now live in
wastesedge git repo under gfx/. Is that still correct?

Assuming yes, I was then wondering if I should perhaps (temporarily) create a
new directory for my graphics to keep them separate from the existing ones are
not based on the 48x36 (ground) tile size convention and pixel-art-ish style.
Perhaps gfx48/ or something like that? Otherwise I think things might get mixed
up, especially where there's old and new versions of Redwyne Inn pieces. I
suppose models/ and maps/ would need temporary "48" versions for the same
reasons?

Once the old graphics/models/maps have been migrated we could delete the old
gfx directory and rename gfx48 to gfx.

What do you think?

My next question is what, if anything, to do with the source graphics. By that
I mean, scans of drawings, Gimp .xcf files, PhotoShop .psd files and similar
artefacts that artists might be using as part of their workflow. The trouble is
that they don't necessarily fit nicely into the same directory structure as the
final PNGs used in-game since there isn't always a 1-1 mapping. For example, I
created a highish res, 2D wood texture that I've stretched, scaled and cropped
to then used in several of my in-game tiles (wood floors, furniture, etc.).
Elsewhere, I might have scans of outlines I've drawn by paper that I then use
for (parts) of my in-game stuff.

These things can be useful to others so they might be worth sharing (and, if
nothing else, having a copy on github is a useful backup) but they are also a
bit random and potentially pretty big files. My gut feeling is to keep them in
a separate repo. I'm open to ideas and suggestions though.

Regards,

                - James