Re: [Adonthell-devel] Ideas from yesterday's meeting

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Ideas from yesterday's meeting
Date: 02 Dec 2001 20:12:43 +0100

> Stupid question: What are gpg signatures and what are they good for?

If I send a GPG signed message and you got my public key, your mail
client can tell you whether or not it's really me that sent the mail.
You know how easy it is to change your name/email adress in your mail
client and make others believe you're someone else. If a message is GPG
signed you can be sure the sender is who he pretends to be. Also, an
authentic-certified signed GPG message is the proof that the message
hasn't been altered/modified during transfert. GPG also allow to crypt
messages so they can't be read by third parties. See
http://www.gnupg.org for more details. I really like the idea of secured
mails, and take the thing very seriously. That's why I like to use GPG
when possible. Moreover, the web of trust principle is really nice and
I'd like to encourage it's usage so it becomes widely used, as for any
good free software :)

But anyway, I don't think that it's appropriate on mailing lists, so I
won't use it anymore when posting here. GPG is rather usefull for
private correspondance or important matters. Sorry for the offtopic!