Re: [Adonthell-devel] space --> enter?

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] space --> enter?
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 21:59:15 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 05 Jan 2002 12:39:10 +0000 cirrus wrote

> I was just playing the game again (how do you get into the pantry to
> find the gem (or can't u do that yet?)).

Ye .. no. You could, if Silverhair would send you to fetch something for
her. That'll trigger the dialogue options to get the key to the pantry.
These are already in place, though.

> Anyway, I've been wondering
> about the controls. At the moment space is our 'action' button, but I'm
> now wondering if it wouldn't be better to change that to enter (of
> course providing that this is easy to change in the code, if it isn't
> forget it!). There are two reasons for this. Firstly almost everyone I
> show the game tries enter first - I always need to tell them to use
> space! Secondly - and more importantly - using enter would make entering
> the player name and names for save-games more straight forward. At the
> moment you choose a save game with space but need to press enter when
> you're done. If enter was used for the selection it would be enter for
> everything and space would just be a symbol while typing stuff. I recon
> most people would find that more logical than the way it is now.

Well, I agree that enter would seem more logical to select a menuoption.
But I don't know if it's any good as a generic action key. My point is
that you can leave one hand on the curser keys for walking and scrolling,
and the other on the space bar for almost anything else. I find that
simply more comfortable.

Maybe if you could use both enter and space in the menus/dialogues, but
only space on the map would be a compromise. And not hard to add, I think.
However, I wouldn't like switching completely from space to enter.