Re: [Adonthell-devel] Adjustments to items.h ?

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Adjustments to items.h ?
Date: 14 Feb 2002 20:50:53 +0100

> > That's a god idea, I like it.
>
> Sorry, I'm no god, no ... that's not even on my TODO list (yet) ;).

Really? So bad - I have always dreamt to post one day on
alt.religion.kaisterker ;)

> But seriously: What do you think Alex? Would this cover everything we would
> possible need? I fear your ideas sorta got rolled over ...

Well, I'll be honest: I haven't understood half of what you meant in all
those mails :) - sorry but as long as there is no code, I'm long to
understand things... I'll print all these mails and have a deeper read
tomorrow, in the train. To change the topic a bit, I'm also still
fighting with the new mapengine (which first version is coming soon,
btw). I place objects and move characters, but realized the pixel by
pixel movments and placing raises new rendering issues that I... ahem
hack-fixed badly in 0.3 :) Add the GCC porting stuff, shake 10 seconds,
and you have an idea of the current state of my brain. ;)

But let's take what we already have as an example to better understand
what we need: the mapcharacters/mapviews schedules in 0.3. What we want
is the same flexibility for items, right? So we should take it as a
model. The question is, which one solution fits better? As a schedule is
a behavior for a character (and is not 'stuck' to a character all life
long, say you have a 'follow_character' schedule, it could apply to any
character), it looks like (at first look) your idea Kai fits better this
model. But would it be still sufficient? If the amount of code
redundancy is what afraids you in my solution, it can be fixed by a good
design (using inheritence and such). On the other hand, it seems to me
that it's as if we defined ALL the characters attributes and actions in
a single Python file and stuck to it. But with items, it might be
different - you know that a potion will never have the behavior of a
sword. Blah! What a mess.

Anyway, I'll probably have clearer ideas tomorrow - so stay tuned! ;)