Re: [Adonthell-devel] New input system working & documented

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] New input system working & documented
Date: 28 Feb 2002 18:31:40 +0100

le jeu 28-02-2002 à 16:31, Kai Sterker a écrit :
> Am 2002.02.28 15:59:35 +0100 schrieb(en) Alexandre Courbot:
>
> > I've just commited the new input system. You can test it with alextest,
> > as before.
>
> Sounds cool! Guess I gotta buy a gamepad now :). Can anybody recommend a
> pad?

<heavy mode=on>
Yeah! See /usr/src/linux/Documentation/input/joystick-parport.txt for
information on how to plug a REAL pad on your PC! ;)
</heavy mode>

> > On your joysticks the axis might not be mapped
> > the same way as mine however (I've a weirdo "plenty-o-buttons" one), so
> > the player might go up when you press left, etc. But feel free to modify
> > main.cc to map the keys you like! ;)
>
> Guess the first test for Joel's new gui will be an interface for the
> control mapping, then.

Of course, some of the GUI's controls will be stuck to the keyboard or
mouse (like cursor moving, or text input). Maybe we could also add an
option to enter letters with the controls anyway. If someone make it run
on a console one day ;)

> > You'll notice that there is a input_manager_SDL.cc file. It contains all
> > the input code that is SDL dependant. That is, if we want to support
> > another library, we'll just need to write an input_manager_<lib>.cc file
> > and link to this one instead. The good news is that the Python wrappers
> > won't need to depend on SDL anymore, as we have our own keys/buttons
> > enums now.
>
> Good idea. We should probably do that everywhere, where we depend on SDL.

That's the idea. The surface/screen/image and audio classes also depends
on SDL. When we reorganise the code (see my other mail) will be a good
occasion to cut the dependencies as much as possible too!