Re: [Adonthell-devel] Schedules

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Schedules
Date: 01 May 2002 18:08:43 +0200

> Game cylces are not really independant from machine speed btw. Since
> there is an upper limit to the number of frames to skip, you'll get a
> slowdown on older hardware (like my P200). However, it might be best to
> have the gametime slow down as well in that case :).

That's right. The only reason for this is to prevent the game from
skipping more than 70 frames (in case of a big slowdown). In this
(extreme) situation, I found it wiser to slow down the action a little
bit, so the player doesn't find himself at the other end of the map if
he's moving.

I think that the game cycles defined in gametime should be the time
basis of the whole game. If we start defining other time measures
classes, we'd end, in that extreme case (that shouldn't happen, but that
is taken care "in case of"...) with stuff that gets slowed down (like
the map engine) and other stuff that isn't (the opponent would take
their decisions at the same speed, while the rest of the game slows
down). That's why I'm strongly for adopting a single time measure
method, no matter what it is - I have nothing against
improving/rewriting the game cycles stuff.