[Adonthell-devel] direcotry map in CVS

From: Sasha Kushnirenko
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] direcotry map in CVS
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 02:04:55 +0400

Hi,

I was trying to compile Adonthell from CVS and ran into empty "map"
subdirectory problem.  My understanding is that most developers manually
removed this empty direcoty in their local cvs tree and no longer suffer
from compilation error:

In file included from character.h:29,
                 from main.cc:26:
storage.h:36: directory map' specified in #include

There are 2 possible solutions:

A. Correct the Web page to inform newbies to use -P option:
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/adonthell co -P adonthell

-P option does not checkout or update empty directories.

B. Remove empty map directory from CVS. Well it is scary because CVS manual
says:

... The way that you remove a directory is to remove all the files in it. You
don't remove the directory itself; there is no way to do that. Instead you
specify the -P' option to cvs update or cvs checkout, which will cause CVS
to remove empty directories from working directories. ....

Now my personal experience with CVS was basically go into cvsroot directoty
and wipe out empty dirs which have nothing but Attic in them.  Good old "rm
-rf" will get rid of this annoyance.  Being a good citizen I always backed
up the cvsroot tree before any direct editing (you don't want to face angry
developers) To be gentle you probably need to modify modules file as well.
I would leave this decision to CVS keeper.

Sasha.