Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: [Adonthell-general] Happy New Year!

From: David White
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: [Adonthell-general] Happy New Year!
Date: 04 Jan 2003 11:02:28 +1100

On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 07:37, Alexandre Courbot wrote:
> > I think he's talking about me. I'm an experienced programmer, and am
> > interested in helping, but naturally am still trying to find my way
> > around the project. At this stage, I'm looking at developing the
> > character editor. Any suggestions on what I might do with it are most
> > welcome.
>
> Hi David, and welcome aboard! (better late than never! ;))

Hi Alex, thanks :)

> You're right, I'm sorry about it - forgot you introduced yourself two
> weeks ago on the developer list. I've been a bit off the project these
> last days. Since I'm involved with the map stuff and general engine
> structure, I'm interested in what you are doing. Maybe, however, it is a
> bit early to talk about a character editor, since the character
> structure is still not defined - although we have ideas, but nothing
> implemented yet. Not much is done on 0.4 anyway, but
> characters attributes are probably going to be a hashed-container. The
> important thing is that is has to be as flexible as possible (although,
> containing only strings should be ok, since we can convert strings to
> int provided we know we have to read an integer.

yes, you might have a point about the framework not being well enough
developed yet for a good character editor to be written. In that case,
I'm not sure what I can do to contribute at this stage :)

> We had a big discussion about characters implementation a few months
> ago, but I can't find it back. It involved Python stuff, as well as
> combat and magic, and was related to items too. Someone know where it is
> on the archives?

I looked around, and saw some discussion of it interspersed with
discussion of the combat system. The most discussion on it seemed to
take place in February:
http://mail.nongnu.org/pipermail/adonthell-devel/2002-February/thread.html

I noticed the discussions didn't seem to arrive at *too* much of a firm
conclusion. Perhaps we can revive them now. Also, what didn't seem to be
discussed as far as I could see, is a money and shop system.

> Anyway, we're still discussing the bases of 0.4, although
> I can also say that characters/items should be closely related as both
> have atributes and can perform actions. It's also going to use Python a
> lot for the flexibility.

What is and what is not planned to be in 0.4? I couldn't find any
documents detailing release plans. Are there any? If there's any way you
think I can contribute to it, please let me know.

I agree that the characters/items system should be fairly flexible.
Perhaps we should try to brainstorm all the sane possible ways a game
might like to do an items system, and then make it so the Adonthell
engine supports all of them?

Cheers,

-David.

--