[Adonthell-devel] Inventory

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Inventory
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 13:48:40 +0100

And here are some thoughts about the inventory. It's closely related to
characters (although items like chests and such might also have an
inventory of their own). Still, for the sake of clarity, I'll put it
into a mail of its own.

Basically there are two things to an inventory:

It's function as a container of items, and the rules imposed by the role
playing system. The first is equal for all kinds of RPGs. Items need to
be added, removed, counted and listed; the whole inventory needs to be
saved and loaded.

The rules however are unique to each game. What we want to do is giving
each character an inventory with a limited number of slots. (Dunno what
we agreed on; was it 10 or something). Finding bags would enlarge that
number by a few slots. On the gui side, the inventory of all party
members will act as one big inventory. It's completely transparent to
the player which character is carrying which item.

The basic inventory funtionality can be implemented in the engine. So we
had a inventory_base class that characters or containers could use for
storing those items.

The rules will have to be implemented on Python side, but I'm not so
sure how to do that. I don't think that it makes much sense to extend
the inventory_base class with a python inventory class. For one,
different inventories (that of a chest, a spellbook, a character) will
have different requirements. Also, it is the container from which an
item is taken, the book to which a spell is added, the character that
picks up, buys or recieves an item. So I think it would make sense to
implement the rules at that level.

Comments? Suggestions?