Re: [Adonthell-devel] Non-Latin fonts

From: Sasha Kushnirenko
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Non-Latin fonts
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:10:28 +0300

Hi, Josh!

> Of course, it also raised a question: if no Cyrillic font currently exists
> for Adonthell, I guess there is no chance of a Japanese one being there,
> either, right? Do you have any idea about how to make a font? Is it
> documented anywhere?

I started to look on remnants of so called "fonedit" and I hope I can make
it work on a minimalistic basis.  (Again I'm just poking my nose around
trying to learn adonthell software)  I really would love to see russian
translation of wastesedge.

My understanding this is how it works in version 0.3.3:

0. Adonthell print characters as small images. The images are extracted from
font.font files

1. Prepare a file with character images (gimp, whatever) It should look like
a long line with charaters typed in.  Then separate character with solid
black lines.  (What is the height of a character?)

2. Prepare a cursor.pnm file

3. Unite font and cursor together in the so called font.font file using
fontedit program

4. Repeat it for different colors.

Questions:
1. How characters > 127 are treated in Adonthell?
2. What is propoed directory layout in 0.4 for non-latin fonts?

Sasha.