Re: [Adonthell-devel] On editors and their GUI

From: Sasha Kushnirenko
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] On editors and their GUI
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:56:17 +0300

Hi,

> As for the GUI, I first thought about doing just like Kai: GTK and C++.
> But I'd like to do them as far as possible (while keeping them
> user-friendly and so on), so I can then switch to other tasks. So after
> a look at all the GUI that exists extensive testing, I think I'll use
> WxWindows and Python, that is, WxPython (http://www.wxpython.org)

WxPython looks really nice and it looks like it is not complicated to throw
something together for a quick-and-dirty editor.  It is quite important to
have this possibility.

> WxWindows is a great cross platform GUI that implements anything you'd
> need. Moreover it's very easy to program.

There was a discussion about GUI for Adonthell itself.  Would you consider
it?

> Fortunately, there is a great deployment utility called py2exe which
> packs any Python application into a single Python-independant, self
> containing Windows executable.

I'm afraid py2exe works ONLY on Windows. But there is another product called
"installer" which works on Linux ( http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/install1.html )

Just curious - are those executables big in size?  I fear if they track all
modules even minor tool can be gigantic for downloading.

Sasha.