Re: [Adonthell-devel] New structure status, thoughts, and problems

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] New structure status, thoughts, and problems
Date: 18 Mar 2003 21:35:40 +0100

> Oh, something that crossed my mind: one thing where we depend on SDL is
> endian independence. But AFAIK, that are just a few macros to take care
> of that. Might be a good idea to move that into our own code, as it
> would remove one external dependency.
> Not that this needs to be done immediately. But we might want to keep it
> in mind for later.

Yep, there is that and time management also. I don't want to make a
backend system in libbase just for that. Moreover other libs might not
handle time as SDL does. So I guess we can just rip their code - it's
gettimeofday on *nixes and something else for Windows, nothing
serious...

> > - We could use the SWIG library, which is supposed to take care of
> > such problems. But it would require the user to have it. Sucks a lot.
>
> As I said earlier, the swig library is nothing more than a single C
> file. Actually, it is that code that gets copied to the top of each
> wrapper. So I don't think it hurts to distribute that file together with
> our source (as we do with SDL mixer). That would mean no additional
> dependencies for the user, and would solve our problems in quite a nice
> way, I think.

Ah, yeah, I saw it right after sending my first mail. See my second
mail. Good news is that it works fine and is even better for memory
usage, actually (not that it would have hurt a lot to have several
copies of it, but...).