Re: [Adonthell-devel] Redesign?

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Redesign?
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:32:17 +0200

Am Montag, 18.08.03 um 10:32 Uhr schrieb Alexandre Courbot:

What I don't understand is why we hadn't such problems with 0.3 on OSX.

Because we did exactly what SDL wanted us to do: have our main function replaced by SDL's (happens automatically when including SDL.h in main.cc). So SDL did the initialization and everything worked well.

Maybe it's the module stuff?

Nope, definitely not. I once did the above with the inputtest program and it worked like a charm. However, that is totally against the backend idea. I mean, inputtest should run with any backend you specify, so one can't add SDL specific initialization to it! That's why I wanted to add this initialization to the SDL gfx backend.

It also would have the advantage that a plain python interpreter could load the SDL module on OSX and everything would be set up to open windows and such. If initialization is done elsewhere in Adonthell, anything run with python would be missing that. Unless python itself takes care of it, like MacPython is supposed to do (also see my previous mail).

Could a "global" initialization function help? That fonction could set up the
OSX main function callback and would look cleaner design-wise.

I don't think so. A function is bad, as it will never return. We need something like SDL or Clanlib does. Initialize and then call our application from _inside_ the initialization.

Okay. Then I guess in these conditions dynamic loading of the SDL module is
out of the question on OSX.

Again, if everything is initialized correctly, the SDL module can be loaded at runtime and will work.

So, what seems to be the most promising solution would be doing what Clanlib does (thanks for the hint, Kenneth!). That means, any little tools we write do not need their own initialization, and they remain independent from the backend. I think, I will have a closer look at this.