Re: [Adonthell-devel] Another bug fix

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Another bug fix
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 22:11:59 +0900

On 10/2/05, Tyler Nielsen <address@hidden> wrote:

Thanks again for the patch ... your first has been already integrated
into the code. I will commit it to CVS once I'm back from holiday
(Cannot connect my notebook to the internet here ...).

I also made a number of fixes to some base stuff in the course of
completing the quest part, quest events. So there'll be more code
coming next week or perhaps already during the weekend.

> I was running into a python crash when running 'eventtest.py'.  Because I
> started running into it in the audio portion, I finally decided to track it
> down.  The attached patch fixes the crash I was having.  Although it doesn't
> print out an error message that is very descriptive.

Feel free to commit this one, if you like. You should have write
access to CVS now :-). Welcome!

>  Also, I'm about 90% done with the audio.  The only thing left to finish is
> the event at the end of a song.  I'm planning on having it complete by
> Sunday night.  Which leads to my question.  How is the best way to get this
> out there.  I can keep submitting in patch form.  I can post a tarball on
> the web, or I can commit directly to CVS.  Right now I don't have CVS
> access, but I submitted a request to join the group on Savannah.

Where in the current code tree would you place the audio code? I'm
happy if you directly commit what you have, but once its in place its
hard to move it around afterwards. So it should go in the right place
from the beginning. Maybe under src/audio ...

Is it pure Python, or both Python and C++? With C++ files its easy:
they go somewhere under src/<module>. We haven't really thought about
Python scripts until now, although there'll be a couple ones that will
belong to the engine (in contrast to game data).

If you have any suggestions, please tell. All I can imagine right now
is something like a src/scripts/ directory which might again have
different module directories inside.

Next question is where would these scripts installed. In v0.3 they
were put in .../shared/adonthell/modules/. This path was than added to
the embedded python's search path. The better solution might be adding
them to <python>/site-packages/adonthell/<module>/ however. What do
you think?