[Adonthell-devel] Re: Loading and saving of map in place

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Loading and saving of map in place
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 11:45:08 +0200

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> First step is done. I have a small GTK+ app that can load and save the
> map. A lot of code is copied from dlgedit, so I tried to move some if
> it into a common package under the tools module. It's not much (and
> doing it was boring), but it should be a good starting ground for more
> interesting things to come. Figuring out which object is under the
> cursor for example, or scrolling.

And here we are: just committed the final(?) fixes to consider
highlighting and scrolling done :-). There might be some issues left,
once we change the z-coordinate to something other than 0. But since
that's not possible yet, it should be fine for now.

The biggest issue is probably performance of the GTK backend. I've
spend a good deal of time to make it reasonably smooth on the 800Mhz
G3 (so it'll fly on any modern box). That's why the whole thing took
longer than expected.

Anyway, now things are ready for the next steps. Knowing which object
is under the mouse  will allow for "picking" it up (or deleting it),
so those will probably be the next things to come. Then there'll be
discarding of the picked object and (more important!) placing it on
the map.

Not sure how much I can do with the holidays next weekend, but I'll
keep working on stuff as time permits. Seeing the overall progress,
motivation is pretty high right now :-).