[Adonthell-devel] Re: Rendering issue

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Rendering issue
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 20:53:10 +0200

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> Also thought a bit about the rendering bug itself. The renderer is
> written with the assumption that there is no overlap between objects,
> as if they'd be Lego bricks.
>
> However, in the two instances above, overlap does occur. With the
> doorway, the character moves through the wall. The collision
> information lets him, but the renderer uses a simpler bounding box and
> so character and doorframe intersect from the renderers point of view.

I fixed this issue in the renderer. It was a bit different from the
the one below, however, so one more to go:

> Similar with walking on the roof. It is sloped as far as the collision
> information is concerned, but for the renderer it looks like the
> character is half-sunken into the roof.

I'd really like to come up with an algorithm that can check which of
the given cubes is rendered in front/behind the other, given our
specific perspective. But so far I didn't really come up with
something that worked reliably. For now I just improved the
documentation of the current implementation a little. Still thinking
about a more generic solution, at least for the case where both cubes
intersect. Of course, my hope is that a generic solution for that case
will be able to handle the other cases as well. Ideas welcome.

One thing I already tried -- and which didn't work -- was to compare
each cubes distance to the camera plane. But the problem was that a
very large cube can be nearer than a small cube in front of the large
one.