Re: [Adonthell-devel] Modeller thoughts

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Modeller thoughts
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 22:54:02 +0200

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> Move the mouse near the edge of the canvas. It will then scroll into
> that direction. It's the same behaviour as with dlgedit or mapedit.
> For modeller, it might be possible to show scrollbars to indicate the
> ability to move the canvas, but for the others, where the canvas is
> near infinite (well, 2^32 pixels), scrollbars are not really an
> option. And I'd like to keep the behaviour consistent.

I've added a special cursor that is shown whenever the mouse is inside
the scrolling area. Since scrolling is implemented in a common class,
it'll affect all three tools that use scrolling.

For modeller specifically, it's not perfect as modeller stops
scrolling (or does not even start) once its limits are reached.
Unfortunately, there's no simple way of showing the cursor only when
scrolling will actually occur, as the common class does not know about
modellers limitation. But at least the functionality should be more
obvious.

As far as cursors are concerned, since our tools are mostly mouse
driven, but often have multiple states where a click may mean
different actions, it might be good to add more custom cursors to
indicate what action will be taken. So if you come across a point
where a showing a special cursor would really make a difference,
please let me know.

In general, I'm not sure if I'm getting carried away with stuff like
this or the desktop integration. We may be better off creating a bit
of a priority list. OTOH, right now I rather feel like working on
smaller things that can be completed on an evening or two, at most.
But eventually I need to get going on the larger changes that really
impact usability.

Comments welcome!