Re: [Adonthell-devel] Sign of life

From: Chris Frey
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Sign of life
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 18:57:05 -0400

Hi Kai,

I hear ya. :-)  I don't have time for much programming these days besides
work related stuff, and general life can be sometimes more interesting
as we get older, or more distracting, or even more demanding. :-)

As much as it may not make sense to the developer, tarball releases
seem to be an important tangible item for the end user.  Source code
is just too scary for them unless it comes in a tarball or a precompiled
binary package.

And I can't blame them too much really.

It's a lesson I've just recently relearned the hard way, so I figured I'd
share it here.  A project that doesn't have regular releases is in danger
of getting forgotten.  Or in other words, the single most important thing
for an open source project is having regular, maybe even monthly, releases.
Every other item, especially the rewrites or redesigns, need to be done
in a way that doesn't interrupt those releases.

I've seen the dangers happen in 3 projects just over the past few years.
And redesigns can be project killers.

Not sure if that helps, or just adds more pressure, but I can testify
that after making an official release... man, the pressure is gone for a
while! :-)  And developers need that clean slate every now and then too,
to make developing fun again.  Staring at a long todo list that never
seems to budge can wear you down after a while.

How far away is Adonthell from a release?  Any release, even an experimental
one.

- Chris