Re: [Adonthell-devel] Started work on Waste's Edge map

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Started work on Waste's Edge map
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 21:48:07 +0200

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 11:04 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> * Recognizing doorways still not implemented.

Been pretty quiet about that, lately, but have been working on that
for a little while. It's slowly coming together, but some details
remain before I can commit my changes.

Pathfinding through doorways works in general, but there are times
where the NPC gets stuck at the edge of the doorway. The reason is
that the current approach only checks points along the path, so it
might not route the path through the centre of the door. The solution
to that that has been forming in my head is to check lines
perpendicular to the direction of the path instead. That should help
in detecting obstacles such as the walls adjacent to a doorway with
better reliability and little additional cost.

Getting too late to try it out today, but will see to get something
done during next week.

Kai

P.S. and way offtopic: Also have been discovering the books of
Patricia McKillip, and while each of them is fairly short and
self-contained, they ate quite a bit of my spare time. Went through
three of them ("The Bards of Bone Plain", "Alphabet of Thorn" and "In
the Forests of Serre"), all of which I can recommend if you're into
fantasy and tired of war, rogues, assassins and of waiting 20 years
for a series to find its conclusion.