Re: [Adonthell-general] Rules question

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Rules question
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 11:14:00 +0200

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 08:39:43 +0200 Nils Fohrbeck wrote:

> address@hidden schrieb am 15.07.02
> 05:17:18:> Nils, Ben,
> >
> > Looking at the attribute/property table, I'm wondering if the rules
> > allow for changes in the speed of movement outside of combat. Is it
> > possible, for example, for an item or such to allow the character
> > quicker movement? I think it would be useful to have such a
> > modifier. Long distances could get tedious if there were no way to
> > move more quickly.

With the new mapengine, the speed of characters is completely variable.
Each character could have a different speed. The player will be able to
walk or run, and of there could be artifacts that further decrease or
increase that speed.

And as Nils said, there'll be ways for quick travelling, although they'd
need to be fitting with our game world. I'm a little sceptical about
cannonball rides and the like (although we definately need some funny
bits as well), but there are plenty of possibilites.

> > A more basic question would be: what will the battle system look
> > like?

Good question. Combat will take place directly on the map and in
realtime. There will probably be some measures to simplify things for
the player a bit - 'locking' on an enemy for example. I think the aim is
an action-oriented battle system that still leaves enough room and time
for some strategic decisions. No simple hack'n slay, but not turnbased
either. All that needs plenty of discussion yet.
Kai