Re: [Adonthell-general] Happy New Year!

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Happy New Year!
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 21:37:01 +0100

> I think he's talking about me. I'm an experienced programmer, and am
> interested in helping, but naturally am still trying to find my way
> around the project. At this stage, I'm looking at developing the
> character editor. Any suggestions on what I might do with it are most
> welcome.

Hi David, and welcome aboard! (better late than never! ;))

You're right, I'm sorry about it - forgot you introduced yourself two
weeks ago on the developer list. I've been a bit off the project these
last days. Since I'm involved with the map stuff and general engine
structure, I'm interested in what you are doing. Maybe, however, it is a
bit early to talk about a character editor, since the character
structure is still not defined - although we have ideas, but nothing
implemented yet. Not much is done on 0.4 anyway, but
characters attributes are probably going to be a hashed-container. The
important thing is that is has to be as flexible as possible (although,
containing only strings should be ok, since we can convert strings to
int provided we know we have to read an integer.

We had a big discussion about characters implementation a few months
ago, but I can't find it back. It involved Python stuff, as well as
combat and magic, and was related to items too. Someone know where it is
on the archives?

Anyway, we're still discussing the bases of 0.4, although
I can also say that characters/items should be closely related as both
have atributes and can perform actions. It's also going to use Python a
lot for the flexibility.

I also suggest we move this discussion to adonthell-devel, since it's
becoming too technical for here!;)

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org