Re: [Adonthell-general] turn based game? (was: no subject)

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] turn based game? (was: no subject)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:39:49 +0100

Klaus Schilling wrote:

> are combat- and item-systems to be implemented in python or C++ ?

The basic item handling (like inventory and common item properties are
implemented in C++. Actual items can be written in Python. See

  http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Architecture:Rpg_Module
  http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Scripting:Items

The item code is also present in the v0.3 branch, but not used there
(and if I remember correctly not even included in the source package).
It's in CVS though:

  http://cvs.savannah.nongnu.org/viewcvs/adonthell-0.3/src/?root=adonthell

As far as combat is concerned, the plan was to have that written
mostly (or) entirely in Python, to allow different rule sets for
different games using the engine. It could probably be hooked into the
engine by extending the character class to have a python interface
much like the item_base class.

I had implemented something along these lines already, but right now
I'm unable to find it. Should be somewhere on the devel mailing list,
not in CVS I think.

> Could the Emacs be used for editing maps?

Sort of. The map for Waste's Edge was created from a python script
which used the map API to add objects and characters ... its not very
comfortable, but its possible.

Kai