Re: [Adonthell-general] GUI design

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] GUI design
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 05:36:58 +0200

On 6/28/07, Andrew Phillips <address@hidden> wrote:

Guess we're still in the brainstorming phase ... so my question to
everyone is what kind of information should be visible while in 'map
mode'? (my opinion in brackets)

* basic stats like health and power [yes, at least while in combat]
* equipped weapon [possibly, with option to toggle between weapons on the fly]
* character portrait [maybe not always, just only during dialogue]
* mini map [no, should be separate if available at all]
* 'hot key items' [probably yes, see below]
* effect icons [maybe have one global icon that appears when character
is diseased, cursed, etc. and a special stat page with the details]
* icons to access options/inventory/stats/etc [no, don't use mouse
much, have keys assigned that bring those up instead]

That's what I could think of right now. Please add your comments and
other items you could think about.

In the interests of record-keeping, the current gui mockup is accessible at:
http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/images/c/cc/Adonthell-ui-mock.jpg

There might be some threads in the ML archive that might apply too,
but I am not sure if it is worth digging them out. Might as well start
a fresh design ...

We've already raised the question of how many usable 'item' slots we need. I
don't think I have an immediate opinion on this, except that I think Kai is
right to say that two is too few.

One idea passed around was to still have a limited number of slots,
but allow to queue several items/spells/feats. One key (or button)
would then be used to activate the current item, another one to toggle
between queued items. However, that approach requires more management
ahead of time, interrupting gameplay.

An alternative might be to have one slot for magic, usable items and
fighting feats. Two keys/buttons are required to cast the spell/use
the item while the feat is always on. Then 3 more keys to switch
quickly between 'items' of the same category. That way, you don't have
to bring up the inventory all that often. In addition, you could make
toggling more 'intelligent' by

* sorting items by number of times they have been used (so you'll get
faster to your favorite spells and feats)
* filtering duplicate items (so you don't have to cycle through ten
healing potions before reaching the next item)

We might also have a slot for weapons, similar to fighting feats. As
for key mapping, something like 1 - 4 to toggle each 'item' and more
special keys for casting spells, using items and attacking with the
active weapon/feat combination.

One thing I did notice, however, which might be relevant to future character
design, is that while the vitality bar is obvious, the willpower power bar
is almost the same color as Kezular's shirt. I looked at the image a few
times before I realized the bar was even there.

Not sure if the portrait should even be there. Would you really want
to look at your character's face all the time? Also, what happens if
there is a party or companions? More portraits? Or just always show
the active/player controlled character?

Kai