Re: [Adonthell-general] Hi, i have finished 1st version of danish transl

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Hi, i have finished 1st version of danish translation
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:53:32 +0200

2008/10/16 Joe Dalton <address@hidden>:

Congratulations, Joe! That must have been a fair amount of work!

> And i'm doing som tests on the file.
>
> 1 of the tests shows some Trailing whitespace inconsistency. Are they
> "errors" in the english text?

I'm no gettext expert, but I'd interprete the first two errors as
follows: the English version has different quotes than the Danish ("
vs «). Note how it says "trailing characters" _or_ "punctuation
mismatch". As the quotes appear at the end of the sentence, I'd count
that as a false positive.

> === Line 474 : Trailing characters or punctuation mismatch ===
> msgid "Not even if I've found one of your \"Catseyes\"!"
> msgstr "Også selvom jeg har fundet en af dine »katteøjne«!"
>
> === Line 791 : Trailing characters or punctuation mismatch ===
> msgid "Wait a moment! What exactly is a \"Catseye\"?"
> msgstr "Vent et øjeblik! Hvad præcist er et »katteøje«?"

This next one is indeed a punctuation mismatch. The English has a
colon (:), whereas Danish has a full stop (.).

> === Line 1127 : Trailing characters or punctuation mismatch ===
> msgid "She intended to buy some rare gems, but it seemed she had
> underestimated their value. She was quite surprised by my Master's offer:"
> msgstr "Hun havde til hensigt at købe nogle sjældne ædelstene, men hun så ud
> til at have undervurderet deres værdi. Hun blev meget overrasket over
> Fingolsons tilbud."

Same for the next one: ! vs .

> === Line 1239 : Trailing characters or punctuation mismatch ===
> msgid "Foolish Half-Elf! Don't you think I'd know best how unlikely it is for
> anyone, including your fine mistress, to steal these gems? Were it not for
> Erek, that betrayer, you'd never know!"
> msgstr "Tåbelig halvelver! Tror du ikke, at jeg ved bedst hvor usandsynligt
> det er for enhver, inklusiv din fine arbejdsgiver, at stjæle disse ædelsten?
> Var det ikke for Erek, den forræder, ville du aldrig have opdaget det."

From here on, all the way down it gets more interesting. There are
indeed trailing spaces in the english text, as that has been a cheap
way to "format" the message boxes used to present the text during the
ending scene and on other occasions.

> === Line 4028 : Trailing whitespace inconsistency ===
> msgid "There is no denying it. Yes, I feigned the theft. "
> msgstr "Det hjælper ikke at nægte. Ja jeg foregav tyveriet."

[...]

The only way to make sure that things look good would be to check
in-game. Otherwise you might have some awkward line wrapping,
especially if there are very long words in a sentence.

Kai