Re: [Adonthell-general] What's the current status!

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] What's the current status!
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 23:39:35 +0200

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 9:31 PM, James Nash <address@hidden> wrote:

Trying to make that quick and brief!

> I just mailed the artwork list as I want to do some game gfx again. Although
> I've been lurking on the various mailing lists I only have a vague idea of
> what y'all are working on right now. Could someone please confirm / deny /
> correct / augment my understanding...
>
> I gather you're upscaling the Waste's Edge game to run in the 0.4 as a demo.
> How far along is this?

That's right. There's still a number of details to implement and
general polish needed. On engine side, we're just about getting the
ability to interact with objects on the map. So all the scripting we
had in v0.3 Waste's Edge can soon be recreated. The GUI code also
needs a bit more care, to properly implement the user interface. And
then there are some bugs to squash, but all in all the code should be
ready in the next few months.

On the graphics side, a lot of the images need some post-processing,
cutting into the right shape and then conversion to proper mapobjects.
(see below). And we don't have any finished character sprites and the
cut-scene gfx are not upscaled yet either. So that's the bigger worry
right now. As I've said earlier, with Arikel we may have someone
working on that, but more artists are certainly better!

> You've now got a GUI tool for making maps. Are there other tools too? Are
> there instructions for using the tools somewhere?

Besides mapedit, there's modeller. And unlike mapedit, modeller has a
bit of documentation written. See here for everything that's there:

  http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Tools:Contents

I've also added some info to the Designers Reference, but I think it's
also linked from the modeller pages:

  http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Graphics:Sprites
  http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Graphics:Models

Feel free to expand as you start working with that stuff. I'd really
love to give that stuff into more capable hands :-).

> Is that about right or is there some other major activity taking place?

Nope, that's absolutely right. If there's anything else going on right
now, it's happening behind my back ;-).

Cheers,

Kai