Re: [Adonthell-general] adonthell in a blog-post

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] adonthell in a blog-post
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 14:47:22 +0200

2011/7/16 shirish शिरीष <address@hidden>:

> Comments welcome either on the mailing list or in the blog feedback
> either place. .

Some explanations seem in order:

  mkdir ../adonthell-build && cd ../adonthell-build
  /somepath/adonthell-build$../adonthell/configure --prefix=/usr/local

What we're doing here is usually called an "out of source build". It
has the benefits that the source directory is not cluttered with build
artifacts. In addition, it's possible to have different build
directories for different configurations. For example, I have one that
builds against SDL 1.2 and one the builds against SDL 1.3. In the
future I might add an other one to cross-compile a windows version.

    "I really do not get why sudo make install is used/needed as right
now, as there isn’t a adonthell menu entry on either the GNOME menu
or/and the KDE Menu."

Quite a few people wonder about that. The problem is, without properly
installing stuff, it would be very hard to get anything running at
all. The reason for this is the chosen architecture. See

  http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Architecture:Overview#Architecture

In brief, adonthell is a conglomerate of a dozen shared libraries and
as many dynamically loaded modules, all of which need to be in their
designated spot to be found correctly. I assume it would be possible
to set environment variables in such a way that things work out
without installation, but I never really tried. Make install is more
convenient, if a bit slower. OTOH, since everything is linked
dynamically, during development it's enough to only compile and
install the module that actually has the code changes, which is
usually fast enough :-).

Oh, also wondering: does orange-engine have a website somewhere?

Kai