ainulindale-devel

[Ainulindale-devel] A couple of perspectives... medium sized mail

From: Andrea Negro
Subject: [Ainulindale-devel] A couple of perspectives... medium sized mail
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 15:51:08 +0200

We already discussed about the overview a few days ago, while having a pizza.
But just to remind the key points about the project.

The scope of the project is as beautiful and difficult as before, but we're
trying to pushing it to a slightly more complicated state. :)
The basic idea is to switch from a isolated, written-from-scratch framework to
a brand-new existing one, which has a larger scope: in shorts, to switch from
a mmorpg framework to a Gaming Grid framework.

Brief summary about the Grid technology.
The concept is quite old: to gather small resources, virtualize
individualities, and provide users a large, virtual, more-powerful-than-ever
computer. You could think to distributed computing, but you must think about
this familiar concept as a sub-set of a Grid concept.

- Example 1: Seti at home. It is the classic example of a Computational Grid.
Quite simple: parallelize a big job into independent subprocesses, and run
each of them on a desktop, then recollect and unify results.

- Example 2: EU Datagrid. If you like physics like me, you probably know that
they're creating a new technology for CERN. Instead of the old LEP, they're
building the LHC, Large Electron Positron. It will be ready by 2005 or later.
Each of the 4 labs around the LHC ring will provide data about particle
collisions. The rate of output data will be around 10Tb a day: many, may Pb
per year, something which is impossible to handle today.
The idea to solve this problem is a Data Grid: provided a large enough storage
or virtualized pool of storages, the problem is to provide access to the data
to all the scientists around the world.
So the solution is to create a VO (virtual organization, as it is called in
Grid): if you enter (have the credentials) to enter the VO, you will be able
to search data, retrieve them and submit results as if all that stuff was on
a lan server, or even on the local machine.
Obviously, this is quite complicated: the Grid middleware layer must take care
of where data is, index it, provide enough resiliency, handle replicas in
order to minimize internet usage, provide a standard way to submit a single
query and eventually gather data from various sources (thus hiding the data
location complexity to the user).

- Example 3: AccessGrid. This is a different kind of grid. In particular, this
is an open project to provide massive collaboration tools, or a video
conferencing system. This is basically a standard video conferencing tool,
but globus-based: it uses the security infrastructure, indexing system and a
bunch of other stuff, not important now. What is important to understand is
that Grid is not just computation and data.

- Example 4: Butterfly Grid. This is an IBM project. Basically is a host for
online gaming, and will be used by Sony. It is not a particular game, it is
an infrascturture to run games. The system is a linux cluster, and all
applications are developed with globus, so the cluster is quite
self-managing, and is able to respond automatically to peak of utilizations
and to plug-and-play nodes to provide more power, or detach them for better
utilization of resources.

- Example 5: Ain. :)
We already have the Butterfly! Why do we need something different? That's a
question. The answer is: Butterfly is not really a Grid. Gartner Group
defines Grid as a 'collection of resources across boundaries of
organizations', that's why Butterfly is just a Grid-like system: its
architecture is all self-contained in the Butterfly site. We want Ain to be a
*real* grid, thus collecting and managing resources across the internet to
provide the gaming host. This is quite difficult, of course. :)

- Briiiiiiiiiiiief, really briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiief roadmap...
My idea is to get the Grid Middleware (Globus Toolkit 3 project), adding on
top a layer of services targeted to Gaming Grid, and having this middleware
installed on all the computers partecipating to the grid will enable resource
sharing and management to the Grid itself. Then, people could join VOs, each
of them being probably a different gaming environment (I mean, a real game),
and play online.

Think about it and do as many questions as you can. I will provide later
presentations about the existing framework for Grid, which is itself rather
complicated. At a glance, technologies involved are Web Services, XML, SOAP,
security stuff, Grid Services, AI, Network.