ambar-dev

[Mine-dev] evacuee

From: Eleanor Bowman
Subject: [Mine-dev] evacuee
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:30:45 +0300

Let the horses of Pharaohs envoy be madeready. Let me go to Pharaoh and ask of him to send you hencetill this embassy is finished.
See the great moon riding in yonder cloudless sky.
Yes, young sir, I found them in plenty and gathered them with theappropriate spells.
I said, beast of a Syrian, do you dare to talk thus toPharaohs envoy, a Count of Egypt? At this moment his eye fell upon me, and he said,So you are back, son Ramose. May not a man take a wife who pleases him andwhom he pleases?
Pharaoh bids me say that he will answer yourrequests to-morrow, since to-day it is too late.
Go to Pharaoh, lay all this matterbefore him, giving it your own colour.
Then, Lady, you have read that which is worth nothing, for what iswritten upon so short a scroll?
Yet it is dangerous to mock at any goddess, and most ofall at Hathor.
A sweet voice answered,O Ramose, Pharaohs son and envoy, I am your hostess Atyra, once aqueen. At first they amazed me to whom no suchwords had ever been used before. I hear, Pharaoh, I answered bowing low to hide the doubt and troublein my eyes. Then understand this also: That I put a great trust upon you, Ramose. Presently I will return with his commands.
Further, this great Syrian ladydesired Pharaohs help. You have cut him down andmaimed him, even if he is not slain. Still of this I said nothing who was well content to bealone with this gracious and beautiful lady. Ninari smote at me with his broad, curved blade.
Perchance it was a spirit of which this place must be full, for such,they say, look like shadows.
If this young Egyptian lordhas done ill, let Pharaoh judge him. I am the envoy of the Pharaoh Apries, King of the two Lands and ofthe countries beyond the sea.
Yet I pray you to go tillshe has departed back to Syria. As you may guess, I am thecourt physician. The business grew dangerous; the friends of Ninari drew their weaponsand waved spears.
You should have run back to the camp and fetched a guard, sheanswered angrily.
So the womanhas come and the sword has swung aloft and now follows the trouble. So because we loved each other, I told him everything from thebeginning to the end. I will wait,though in this matter I hold that delay is folly.
There is much to be learned from thosewho sleep by one who has the gift of reading souls. I said, beast of a Syrian, do you dare to talk thus toPharaohs envoy, a Count of Egypt?
So there I remained that night, being given a tent to sleep in near tothe pavilion. A servant who must have been watching me, noted this and went away asthough to call some one. She looked at me a while before she answered,My heart tells me that you are right, O Ramose.