artanis

Re: [Artanis] Patch: Use (rx irregex) module

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [Artanis] Patch: Use (rx irregex) module
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2017 16:25:10 -0300

Well, at least for me that don't use GNU Artanis too frequently (still
trying) it's not a problem, although I think this poses as security and
maintainence risk, specially because the documentation doesn't clearly
state what is bundled, which version is bundled, if there were any
changes made, and how to unbundle in case of need.

This last point (how to unbundle) could be arranged at
build-configuration time, or in the build/compilation time so that the
install could be made with less manual intervention. The idea would be
to make use of some "auto configuration" which would take the exact
parts of GNU Artanis that could use the bundled software, and make it so
that the configuration/build process modifies the parts according to a
flag/option.

I'm not an experienced developer, but I once saw a tool, GNU Autoconf,
that takes ".in" files and makes them into their without-".in"
counterparts. However, I don't have, as of today, the knowledge and time
to dive into this and consider it as priority (also because I'm doing an
academic article about the importance of free/libre software philosophy,
and its movement, to university management). I might come to find a way
to do so, but I don't guarantee it will be soon.

I hope this helps anyways. :)