aspell-announce

[pspell-announce] Pspell C++ interface to disappear.

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: [pspell-announce] Pspell C++ interface to disappear.
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 21:49:49 -0400 (EDT)

This is a heads up to let you know that the C++ interface is defiantly
going in a future version of Pspell.  C++ libraries are just to pragmatic
for system libraries.  In it place will be a header only C++ wrapper for
the C code.  These wrappers will all be in the namespace "pspell" and will
have short names instead of the hideously long names found in the C
interface.  The wrappers for the most part will take care of the memory
allocation issues by allow you to use actual classes instead of pointers.
It will use the STL were appropriate however usage should be light enough
that it will not cause portability problems.  It will also use
expectations however they can be turned off by defining a macro. Since it
is entirely in header files and nothing is in the actual library many of
the C++ linking issues disappear.

>From now own I will not consider modification of the current C++ interface
as breaking binary compatibility.  That is I won't increment the interface
number just because something changed in the C++ library.  So if you do
use the C++ library you may find yourself having to link with a specific
version of the Pspell library.

The actual C++ library will remain though until the new wrapper library is
stable.  This may be as early as version 0.14 Pspell (the current is
0.12).  I have not started to write the wrapper library yet so I do not
know for sure.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

---
Kevin Atkinson
kevina at users sourceforge net
http://www.ibiblio.org/kevina/