aspell-devel

[aspell-devel] Store Replacement failure

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: [aspell-devel] Store Replacement failure
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 07:51:17 -0700

Hi Kevin,

This is in regard to my Text::Aspell Perl module.

I have been receiving reports of aspell_speller_store_replacement()
failing in the test suite.  I can't reproduce the problem, but as I
support the Perl Text::Aspell module I need to try and resolve the
issue.

Yesterday I had someone report the problem on three different platforms
all running 0.50.5 and latest Perl and module code.  Yesterday I also
built from new sources and could not reproduced the problem.

So, my question to you is there anything
aspell_speller_store_replacement() does that might be dependent on the
current environment that I can test?

The only thing odd I can find in the bug reports sent to me is the
config reporting odd paths (like $HOME is not set correctly):

            per-conf:  .aspell.conf
       per-conf-path:  //.aspell.conf
            personal:  .aspell.en.pws
       personal-path:  //.aspell.en.pws
              prefix:  /usr/site/aspell-0.50.5
                repl:  .aspell.en.prepl
           repl-path:  //.aspell.en.prepl

I don't think that's related to the problem, though, as I can set a bad
$HOME on my machine and it still doesn't fail for me.

The perl code that fails is simply:

   $speller->store_replacement('foo', 'bar')
      or print $speller->errstr;

$speller->errstr comes from aspell_speller_error_message().  No error
message is returned on failure.

This store_replacement() call is the only test in the module that is
failing -- that is, the interface is working fine otherwise.

And the Perl xs interface is just a thin wrapper to the call:

int
store_replacement(self,word,replacement)
    Aspell_object *self
    char * word
    char * replacement
    CODE:
        self->lastError[0] = '\0';
        self->errnum = 0;

        if (!self->speller && !_create_speller(self) )
            XSRETURN_UNDEF;

        RETVAL = aspell_speller_store_replacement(self->speller, word, -1,
replacement, -1);
        if ( !RETVAL )
        {
            self->errnum = aspell_speller_error_number( (const AspellSpeller
*)self->speller );
            strncpy(self->lastError, (char*)
aspell_speller_error_message(self->speller), MAX_ERRSTR_LEN);
            XSRETURN_UNDEF;
        }
    OUTPUT:
        RETVAL

Can you provide any ides where to look or what to have the people
reporting the bug try?

--
Bill Moseley
address@hidden