aspell-devel

[aspell-devel] Modifying A Character Set File

From: Saad1Mufti
Subject: [aspell-devel] Modifying A Character Set File
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:47:03 EDT

Hi,

I want to try and see what happen if I change the iso8859-1 character set to treat digits as letters and allow them in words. I have read the manual and know that it might have other undesirable side effects, but I still want to try it. Can anyone help me with the procedure to do this?

So far, this is what I have tried with aspell-0.60-pre3. I copied iso-8859-1.cmap to iso-8859-1_new.cmap and iso-8859-1.cset to . I then edited iso-8859-1_new.cset and changed the type of the digit characters from 'D' to 'L'. Then I copied en.dat en_new.dat, and edited en_new.dat to change "charset iso8859-1" to "charset iso8859-1_new" .

I then used language en_new when doing a spellcheck, but so far it doesn't seem to be working. It doesn't seem to find any misspellings at all now.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm not quite clear on whether I need to download aspell-lang* and create a whole new character set to try just this small change.

Saad Mufti
America Online