aspell-devel

Re: [aspell-devel] .cmap and .cset files for languages that share script

From: Gora Mohanty
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] .cmap and .cset files for languages that share scripts
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 19:08:26 +0000 (GMT)

Kevin Atkinson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Gora Mohanty wrote:
>> For languages that share scripts, e.g., Hindi and Marathi that
>> share the Devanagari script, packagers of the standard
>> aspell dictionary distributions run into a problem because
>> both dictionary distributions would contain identical
>> u-deva.{cmap,cset} files. However, if one of the dictionaries
>> is already installed, the second package reports problems
>> with conflicting files, and refuses to install unless things are
>> forced. A way around this would be to have separate
>> u-deva-hi.txt and u-deva-mr.txt files (from which the
>> .cmap/.cset files are generated), in the aspell-lang
>> distributions. Of course, these files would be identical,  but
>> that might not be much of an issue as they are a single line
>> each. Is that possible?
[...]

> I do not see any fundamental problem with distributing
> identical  .cmap/.cset files in different packages. This files will
> NEVER conflict with each other since they should always be
> identical. The fact that they are causing you problems is a
> limitation of the Debian packaging system.
On further reflection after sending this email, I quite agree with you
that this is a bug in the Debian packaging system, and not in aspell.
I do believe Soumyadip is also now convinced of that, and even has
a solution in the pipeline that does not involve changing the aspell
dictionary distributions.

Regards,
Gora