aspell-devel

[aspell-devel] bispell - bilingual spell checker

From: Jakson A. Aquino
Subject: [aspell-devel] bispell - bilingual spell checker
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:53:06 -0200

Hi,

I'm developing a simple program capable of spell checking a bilingual text.  It
can't spell the text while it is being typed. The user have to click in the
button "Spell check the document". The program uses aspell library to spell
check the text and GTK+ for the user interface. Basically, the algorithm used
to spell check the text is the following (see spelltext.c for details):

   1) Get next word from buffer 1.
   2) Use aspell to spell check it.
   3) a) If the word is correct, put it in buffer 2.
      b) If the word is misspelled, put "\001mispelledword\002" in buffer 2
         (We'll use \001 and \002 to know where to put the "red_foreground"
         tags in the GtkTextBuffer).
   4) If we have either x consecutive misspelled words or y misspelled words
      among the last z words, go back until the last punctuation mark,
      switch language and go back to step 1. (That's why we can't put the
      word directly in the GtkTextBuffer: we don't know in advance when
      we'll switch from one language to the other).

I think that some people in this list might be interested in taking a look at
the program:

   http://www.nongnu.org/bispell/

Please read the KNOWN_BUGS file before seriously using the program. The menu
item "Help" explains the three ways of choosing the first and second languages
and how to change bispell performance. Comments, suggestions, bug reports
(including to the homepage) are welcome.

Best regards,

Jakson