aspell-devel

Re: [aspell-devel] Re: regarding autocomplete for hindi words

From: Gora Mohanty
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Re: regarding autocomplete for hindi words
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 08:48:15 +0100 (BST)

--- Jose Da Silva <address@hidden> wrote:

> On May 18, 2006 02:18 am, you wrote:
> > Hello,
> >       I am trying to develop an autocomplete mechanism
> > for hindi language.
>
> If you can make it work for hindi, it might be worth making it work
> for other languages :-)
> Likewise, if it already exists for another language, it would be even
> better if it works for hindi as well.
[...]

It is definitely worth thinking about how to implement word completion.
While I have not pondered this much, using aspell suggestions is a
good idea. However, a specialized dictionary might be needed as the
problem domains of spellchecking and word-completion are slightly
different.

[...]
> > Is it enough to match the unicode characters of the
> > typed
> > word and match the unicode sequence with the unicode
> > sequence of the incomplete word, or are there any more
> > complications?
>
> There are always complications :-) but you need to begin somewhere.
[...]

If you want to start with Indian languages, we might be able to
offer some help. I would suggest using the Python scripting language
to test out the implementation. I have some Python bindings for aspell
that I really should clean up and release, and can help you get
started. At some later point of time, the Python scripts can be
reimplemented in C, if additional speed turns out to be needed.
  The aspell API lets you get a list of suggestions for a partially
spelled word. The trick is to interpret these in a manner useful to
the user, and to do it quickly.

Regards,
Gora