compiling

From: Chad Cunningham
Subject: compiling
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 17:25:54 -0400

I keep getting a strange and uninformative error message when trying to
compile Aspell .26.2 on Solaris:

: mslc:/tmp/aspell; make
mksh: Fatal error in reader: = missing from replacement macro reference
Current working directory /tmp/aspell

I don't know what this means, it works fine on linux. I've tried it with
the same result on:

Sparc Ultra10 with Solaris7
Sparc Ultra5 with Solaris7
Sparc Ultra2 with SunOS6

On all of them, the c++ compiler is - cc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314
(egcs-1.1.2 release). Aspell .27.2 compiles fine, but I need the C
library so I'm stuck with .26. Any idea what might cause this?