[aspell] Aspell and ispell.el under XEmacs 21.1.10 (fwd)

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: [aspell] Aspell and ispell.el under XEmacs 21.1.10 (fwd)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 05:42:23 -0400 (EDT)

[Note: Future versions of Aspell will just treat -vv as -v.]

Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 21:21:37 +0200 (MEST)
From: Frank Ridderbusch <address@hidden>
Subject: Aspell and ispell.el under XEmacs 21.1.10

Hi Kevin,

I found the following lines in the README for aspell .31:

> Unfortunately the very latest version of ispell.el, version 3.3, will not
> work with aspell. Hopefully, version 3.4 will work with aspell but until
> them our only choice is to downgrade to an earlier version.

Well I found the same thing, however, this is relatively easy to
fix. In ispell.el the defun check-ispell-version is called. Inside
this defun the ispell program is invoked to check the ispell version
and this is done with this line:

    (setq status (call-process ispell-program-name nil t nil "-vv"))

Note the "-vv", which aspell does not grok. Changing this to simply
"-v" fixes the problem.

I haven't encountered any additional problems otherwise (I didn't test
very intensively though). This email written in XEmacs was checked
with aspell.

The only other problem I found is, that ispell.el apparently uses the
american dictionary by default. So I had to invoke
ispell-change-dictionary to change the default to english before
aspell could be used.

--
MfG/Regards

     /====
    /    Ridderbusch        / ,
   /                       /./   Frank Kahmen Str. 15
  /=== /,== ,===/  /,==,  //    33104 Paderborn, Germany
 /    //   /   /  //   / / \   Tel.: (49) 5254-939284
/    /     `==/\ /    / /   \ Email: address@hidden

Since I have taken all the Gates out of my computer, it finally works!!