[aspell] More Affix Compression Notes

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: [aspell] More Affix Compression Notes
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 17:11:25 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:32:42 -0700
From: Geoff Kuenning <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Affix Compression Again

> How do you store the list of valid rules in the hash table.  Do you use a
> bit array or a list of the flags and why did you use the method, space,
> speed, convenience, etc...

If I understand your question, you want to know how trouble/DGS
represents the DGS part in the hash table.  It's a bit array.  That
part of the code dates back to Pace's original ispell, and probably
back to the PDP-10 assembly-language version.  It was chosen for a
combination of space and speed.  I'd stick with it nowadays for the
speed part; space has become kind of a moot point, but speed still
matters a lot when checking large documents in some languages.
--
    Geoff Kuenning   address@hidden   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/

"Du kannst dem Leben nicht mehr Tage geben, aber den Tag mehr Leben."
        -- source unknown, attribution requested
(You can't give your life more days, but you can give your days more life.)