Re: [aspell] Install the german dictionary onto Aspell

From: Björn Jacke
Subject: Re: [aspell] Install the german dictionary onto Aspell
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:41:06 +0100

On 2001-01-23 at 06:11 -0500 Kevin Atkinson sent off:
> Because requiring someone to install Ispell just so they can use the word
> list is stupid in my view.

this is correct if you think of dictionaries which can be used without
any drawbacks, like the English one in aspell. I think a German
dictionary which takes up 10-20 MB of hard disk space is not that usefull,
it takes several seconds to load and takes much space in RAM. Don't
think that everyone has an ATA drive and plenty of RAM. I know many
people using spell checkers for German language texts but all of them
still use ispell because of the huge dictionary size of aspell. Don't
get me wrong, I love aspell, it's perfect for English spell checking and
has some nice features e.g. ispell does not have but I think you do not
see the problem people have with other "larger" languages.

> > yes I also had a thead (not on the list) with you where you had concrete
> > plans on implementing it.
>
> Could you enlighten me, I don't remember this nor could I find anything
> saying such.

oops I took a look at my archive. It was all about the compound word
stuff, not about affix compression, sorry.

dash*dash*space
Björn Jacke ·  E-Mail: address@hidden
SuSE GmbH   ·  Schanzäckerstr. 10  ·  90443 Nürnberg  ·  Germany