Re: [aspell] Affix or something else

From: Togan Muftuoglu
Subject: Re: [aspell] Affix or something else
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:52:54 +0200

Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> Perhaps but that does not change my viewpoint on the issue.  I, for the
> most part, am the only developer of Aspell and have a limited amount of
> time to do things and affix compression is something that is not high on
> my priority list because there are other things I have been meaning to do
> for way to long now.  As I said again and again, I will be more than
> willing to work with anyone that would like to implement it but I do not
> plan on implementing it myself any time real soon.

Now since I started the affix or no affix flame maybe I should come out
with a suggestion, since I was digging the internet to find out
something I can get inspiration for Turkish.

1)I found a affix generator for Finnish (which is AFAIK has similar
problems with Turkish) now this may help me at least to generate the
affixes to be used with ispell from there I can create a dictionary to
be used with aspell that is my  near future todo

2) I found a site maybe many of you already know http://www.sil.org this
site was about lexical things.  I have ended with the
lexical files for Turkish in addition to other languages to be used with
a sil program PC-KIMMO which happens to work under linux also.

Now I am not a programmer, can using a morphological approach to the
words be an alternative to affix compresion ? As far as I understand it
will work with the root words and make a suggestion based on the
morphology for an unknown word. Size of the dictionary will be small
since it will have the root words only.

I appreciate your efforts in developing aspell which at least gives me a
chance to do spelling in Turkish.

--
Togan Muftuoglu