[Aspell-user] Re: Compile error aspell-0.50.3 on RH6.2

From: Stefan Wimmer
Subject: [Aspell-user] Re: Compile error aspell-0.50.3 on RH6.2
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:57:53 +0100

* Brian Nelson wrote :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> at the moment I'm trying to compile aspell-0.50.3 on my RedHat machine
>> at work (I'm not allowed to install the RPMs systemwide).
>>
>> Unfortunately I can't succeed :( Does anybody have a clue where it is
>> going wrong?
>>
>> Sorry for the long mail (even without line wrapping) but I wanted to
>> provide as much information as possible ...
>>
>> Compiler version
>> ----------------
>> egcs-2.91.66
>> Name        : egcs            Relocations: (not relocateable)
>> Version     : 1.1.2           Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
>> Release     : 30              Build Date: Thu 17 Feb 2000 08:17:14 PM CET
>
> I think your compiler is far too old.
>
> Isn't it possible to extract an rpm into your home directory, rather
> than building aspell from source?

Hi Brian,

thanks for the tip - I tried your suggestion with different rpm packages
but I didn't succeed (at least not with aspell but I learned a lot with
rpm2cpio & cpio ;-} ). The problem are the shared libraries which are
not on my (too old I'm afraid) system ...

Perhaps I should forward my question to the aspell-devel list ?

Thanks anyway for your help
Stefan
  Stefan Wimmer ____________ <GX> creative online development