[Aspell-user] The "encoding" option

From: Jan Šváb
Subject: [Aspell-user] The "encoding" option
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:50:51 +0200

Hello,
I'd like to ask how to use the "encoding" option. I use Aspell in my
application and I have following problem:
The spellchecker is used for translation of Czech texts into English, so the
dictionary used is English dictionary. In texts appears many Czech words
(like names of companies or people), so the users would like to add these
frequently used names into their personal dictionary. So the problem is that
English dictionaries use ISO8859-1 codepage, which doesn't contain all Czech
characters, and Aspell ignores words with unknown characters and doesn't
enter them into personal dictionary.
So I would like to use ISO8859-1 for main (English) dictionary and ISO8859-2
for personal (Czech/English) dictionary. I thought that it would be
sufficient to set "encoding" option to ISO8859-2, because (according to
manual) Aspell is said to "expect input" in chosen encoding. Unfortunately,
Aspell seems to ignore completely this setting.
Can you please help me a bit with this?
Thanks,
Jan Svab
software developer