Re: [Aspell-user] replacing

From: Christoph Hintermüller
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] replacing
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:48:12 +0200

Am Montag, 8. September 2003 12:46 schrieb Athanasios Emilios Arvanitis:
> i ve been using ispell for many years, and recently I ve switched to
> aspell. My problem is that I cant figure out, how to configure it, so
> that the replacement word list, let's say aspell.el.prepl, doesnt
> suggest a replacement but replaces the word without asking.
> So if we have
>
> cat ~/.aspell.el.prepl
> personal_repl-1.1 el 0
> tyme time
Hm does that make sense at all as there may may exist simmular sounding
words which are spelled differently but may show same misspellings. In
this case it might happen that aspell would replace the  wrong word with
the right replacement. Is this desireable.

Further there is no affixencoding jet so aspell is not capable of
reflecting different times and flexions of one word so it might think a
valid word is misspelled as it is not in base form but in some past form
or some third person or so. In this case automatic replacement would
replace syntactically and gramatically correct word by some strange
bullschit.

So at this stage of aspell autoreplacement imho doesn't make any sense at
all. And i even do not consider it really as usefull as you state when
aspell is capable of affixes and soundslike. But in your case it might be
as not all languages have words beeing spelled simular and having words
which are spelled different in different context (hope i expressed that
right).

So at least i think you have to wait for autocompletion until affixencoded
soundslike algorithm is accomplisched.

Hope that helped.
cu
Christoph